As we head into the weekend (if you are keeping track), we thought a cozy, simple and comforting recipe from friend and owner of Ebb & Co, Stephanie Eburah fitting for us all. Available as a kit for delivery in the Seattle area (includes all ingredients + wine) - or to assemble on your own if elsewhere with the accompanying instructions below. However you choose to create this meal, we hope it brings you some much deserved joy!
Bucatini with Sardines, Chilis, Lemon & Garlicky Breadcrumbs
1 pound bucatini pasta
1 tin sardines in oil
1 can borlotti beans (or other white beans such as cannellini, butter bean or chickpeas)*optional
1/2 bunch fresh Italian parsley finely chopped
1 cup garlicky bread crumbs (recipe follows)
Extra virgin olive oil
Flaky sea salt
Pickled Calabrian crushed chilis
1) Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it until it tastes like the sea. Cook pasta until al dente, usually 1 minute less than the package instructions. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
2) Return pasta to the pot it was cooked in and add the reserved water to it. Heat the pot over low heat and gently break up the tin of sardines into large pieces adding it to the pasta along with the drained can of beans and zest and juice from 1 lemon. Gently toss for a minute until just heated through.
3) Remove from heat and toss in parsley, a generous glug of olive oil and a season with salt to taste. Finish with a topping of bread crumbs and as much Calabrian chilis as you can handle.
* Garlicky Breadcrumbs*
1) Break up a couple slices of bread into chunks and add them to a food processor. Whiz them until bread is broken up into pea sized pieces.
2) In a skillet, heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat and add 2 cloves of minced garlic. Toss for a couple seconds then add the bread crumbs.
3) Stir the breadcrumbs around until nicely toasted and browned, about 5 minutes. Season with a little salt to taste.